Sunday, January 3, 2010

For those of you who have found yourself here without knowing me, know that I am primarily a jeweler with a long past of other art passions.
I will use this blog to explore my creative process both in the studio and intellectually.
At the end of the month I am headed to Santa Barbara to attend my 10th Designing Outside of the Lines retreat (DOL), lead by Diane Ericson (dianeericson.com) and Marcy Tilton (marcytilton.com). It is designed as a wearable art retreat but really feeds any design passion. I started playing with them when I was making wearable art and have stayed as my interests and passions have shifted back to jewelry. It all still works for me!
I got a pre retreat letter with suggestions for things to think about, goals to write, etc. I have come to wonder why I bristle so at writing goals. Mostly I never do them ahead of time and wing it at the retreat when we are asked what our goals are. I usually make up something vague on the spot.
This year I am trying to carefully watch my process. What is it about these goals?
I have come to think that it is my fear that someone will be checking up on me and deeming my efforts unsatisfactory. If I never declare my goals, I can never, not meet them….
I pledge, right here in semi-public, to write some goals and intentions for this DOL, before I sit in the room in Santa Barbara!
I’ll let you know how it goes…..

No comments:

Post a Comment